Quick guide for new employees
The new employee's main links
Guidelines for a New Employee in Flamma
- Slides to present CS Department facts 2013 (PDF)
- CS Orientation slides (PDF)
- The University of Helsinki is your employer (not the faculty, the department or a project).
- The general collective agreement for universities is followed at the University of Helsinki.
- All teaching and research staff are included in the annual-workload system (1600 h), except undergraduates who are acting as research assistants or teaching assistants.
- The regular working hours for employees other than teaching and research staff average is 7 hours and 15 minutes per day, and 36 hours and 15 minutes per week.Lunch break is 30 minutes, which is not included in the working time.
- Working hours are 8.00 - 15.45 o'clock, with flextimes 7.00 - 9.00 and 14.45 - 20.00.
- The department monitors the working hours of the administrative team (clocking-in cards).
- Department’s administrative team will be entering preliminary long-term working-hour allocations into the SoleTM system on the behalf of all employees. This routine is supposed to ensure that the working hours are allocated correctly to different backers as defined by the employment contract. For more information, please see Planning Officer Päivi Kuuppelomäki/HIIT, Amanuensis Ellen Mustonen/Department, your superior or the department's intranet: https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/en/node/427.
- All teaching and research staff are included in the annual-workload system, except undergraduates who are acting as research assistants or teaching assistants. The annual workload is 1600 hours and each employee who belongs to this system makes their own work plan in the Sole TM system.
- The salaries of the department are handled by Kaarina Laitinen of the Kumpula HR services.
- The employment contract details the salary. The YPJ salary system is implemented at the University of Helsinki. Salaries are based on the demands level of each position and individual performance of duties. The age and seniority allowances used previously do not accumulate on the basis of years in office any more. Trainees and employees with a contract for 6 months or less at the University of Helsinki are not included in the YPJ system. They are paid a set salary.
- Salaries are paid on the 15th of each month for permanent employees and on the last day of the month for temporary employees, to the bank account given by the employee.
- The salary statement is sent to your home address or electronically to your online bank depending on which alternative you have selected on the form for personal information. You can change this option with the form to change personal information:
- For other changes to your personal information, please fill in this form and hand it in to Office Manager Tiina Väisänen or the HR services in Kumpula.
- Salary statements should be saved so that you can check them against your tax statement.
- For more information on salaries, please see the Flamma page of the HR department.
- Please inform your superior about any absences immediately by phone or e-mail. You should fill in an absence notification for all your absences. Ask your superior for their signature, then hand it in to Finance and HR Secretary Pauliina Pajunen in the Department office.
- For shorter sick leaves of 1-3 days, you do not need a medical certificate from a doctor or nurse. If your absence lasts for 4 days, you need a nurse's or doctor's certificate. If your absence last 5 days or more, you will need a medical certificate from a doctor. Go to Mehiläinen or your local healthcare centre for the certificate. Deliver the certificate and the absence notification form to Finance and HR Secretary Pauliina Pajunen. Form: http://www.helsinki.fi/henkos/lomake/en/10_noticeofabsence.docx
- Other absences: always negotiate with your superior beforehand.
- Days off are calculated from workdays only.
- The length of holidays will be determined on the basis of three tables (conforming to the former entitlement of 2, 2½, or 3 days per month) according to holiday entitlement month.
- The accumulated holidays must be taken out before the end of employment.
Fill in an absence notification for holidays http://www.helsinki.fi/henkos/lomake/en/10_noticeofabsence.docx
sign the form and ask for your superior's signature, then hand it in to Pauliina Pajunen in the Department office.
- Annual leave please see the Flamma page: https://flamma.helsinki.fi/portal/home/sisalto?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pp_list&placeId=HY053824
- Holiday bonuses are based on percentages: 4%, 5%, or 6% of the salary for the holiday entitlement year. Bonuses are paid ialong with the salary for July.
- Bonuses for summer trainees/employees are paid when their contract ends.
- Holiday bonuses can also be exchanged for paid leave.
- The University of Helsinki offers its employees (with working hours of at least 14 hours per week) preventive healthcare and treatment on a GP level.
- In the Metropolitan area, occupational healthcare services are offered by Mehiläinen Oy (limited company).
- The healthcare of the department is available in the Kumpula campus Mehiläinen unit, a subsidiary of Mehiläinen Ympyrätalo (in the round house in Hakaniemi).
- The healthcare unit is located on the ground floor in the D wing in Exactum. The unit is open on Mon-Wed at 8.00 - 16.00 (changes possible/meetings, holiday season etc). At other times, go to Mehiläinen Ympyrätalo, Siltasaarenkatu 18 A, 3rd floor.
- You can make an appointment by phone (010 414 0666), through the nurse, or at www.mehilainen.fi.
- The Exactum porters will give you your keys on your first day of work (bring identification)
- At the department, Amanuensis Teija Kujala is in charge of keys and office spaces.
- You will need the plastic key to gain access to the department outside opening hours.
- The staff card for employees with a contract of less than 6 months does not have a photo. Amanuensis Teija Kujala hands out staff cards without photo.
- The staff card with photo (for contracts over 6 months) is the so-called Lyyra card. Amanuensis Teija Kujala can help you with ordering this card. For ordering the Lyyra card, you will need the organisation code for the Department of Computer Science, 47353373.
- The students of the department do not need a staff card, because the student card gives them the necessary access to department facilities.
- The keys and card are personal. When your employment ends, please return the keys to the Exactum porters and your staff card to Amanuensis Teija Kujala.
- Each employee has their own pigeonhole, either in the 2nd-floor or 3rd-floor mailroom, or in the part-time teachers' office, according to where your workstation is.
- You can put both internal (don't forget the PO Box number) post to the university and external post in the box for outgoing post ('Lähtevä posti'). For post outside the university, you can use the prepaid envelopes.
- The office supply room is located on the 2nd floor, C234. All employees can take what they need in their work from this stockroom. If you need help, please contact Pirjo Kokkonen in the department office.
At the end of the contract
Please make sure you have completed these tasks before leaving:
- check and use up your holiday entitlement as well as you can, and notify Pauliina Pajunen about them with the absence form (for research assistants and other staff)
- save important files and emails to the shared disk storage,
- return your laptop computer to Pekka Niklander
- return your mobile phone and staff ID card to Amanuensis Teija Kujala
- return your keys to the Exactum porters
- inform your collaboration partners that you are leaving
- clear out your workstation
- hand over papers that are to be archived to your supervisor
- shred any confidential papers that need to be shredded
- Each employee has the right to receive a letter of reference.
- You can ask your immediate superior, Financial and Human Resources Secretary Pauliina Pajunen or Office Manager for a letter of reference before your contract ends, or later by e-mail.
- Taxation cards can be delivered to Kaarina Laitinen in the Kumpula service centre, Amanuensis Ellen Mustonen, or Office Manager.
- When your contract ends, you can fetch your taxation card from the Kumpula service centre.
- Office Manager Tiina Väisänen, office D243, phone 191 51390
- Amanuensis Teija Kujala, office D235, phone 191 51380
- Amanuensis Ellen Mustonen, office D238, phone 191 51385
- Department Secretary Pirjo Kokkonen, office D238, 191 51123
- Finance and HR Secretary Pauliina Pajunen, office D238, phone 191 51040
- HIIT Kumpula, Planning Secretary Päivi Kuuppelomäki, office A341, phone 191 51248
- Kumpula HR services Kaarina Laitinen, office B112, phone 191 50733