- What are master's degree programmes?
- Where will the programmes take you?
- MSc in Algorithms and Machine Learning
- MSc in Networking and Services
- MSc in Bioinformatics (MBI)
Accepted MSc students (Algo and NeSe)
What are master's degree programmes in computer science?
Modern society increasingly relies on always-on, collaborative communication environments supported by the Internet, as well as intelligent IT applications. The Department of Computer Science of the Faculty of Science at the University of Helsinki offers two Computer Science Master's Degree Programmes in English:
- Master's Degree Programme on Algorithms and Machine Learning
- Master's Degree Programme on Networking and Services
The third program Master's Degree Programme in Bioinformatics (MBI) is a combination of bioinformatics, computer science, statistics, mathematics and biosciences. See the programme's own pages for more information about it.
These programmes are two-year, full-time degree programmes of 120 ECTS credits each, and teaching in the programmes is given fully in English. The MSc studies consist of programme-specific courses and seminars, other advanced courses in computer science, elective studies, and a Master's thesis, as well as supplementary studies as necessary (up to 60 ECTS). It is also easy to take courses across the programmes. MSc theses are often related to research projects.
Successful completion of Algorithms and Machine Learning or Networking and Services programme will give you a Master of Science (MSc) degree in Computer Science. More information on the degree requirements and studies in these programmes can be found at the page on Master of Science degree.
When you want to apply to Algorithms and Machine Learning or Networking and Services, you'll primarly apply for the Master's Degree Programme in Computer Science, and then in the application you'll indicate which of two sub-programmes you actually apply for. The students already studying for the Bachelor of Science degree at the department do not need to re-apply for these programmes!
Applying to master's degree programmes
- How to apply to the University of Helsinki?
- On-line application service for Master's Degree Programmes at UH
- Faculty guidelines about admission and studies
- Computer Science specific application guidelines
- How to get in?
- Applicants with degree from AMK