under 2.5.65 on an uniprocesor p4 1.5ghz with 128mb ram with xfree4.2.x
with debian testing/unstable while updating and configuring packages
(what dselect does) the load increases enormously, the scenario is as
1. [dselect] unpacking replacement <some package>
2. mouseclicks on an x-terminal get sluggish
3. xmms stops playing
4. i am still able to click on _some_ of the open x-terminals, they
5. the x-terminals freeze, after a few seconds the mouse freezes
6. the computer is frozen, the keyboard leds do not blink on pressing
7. After about 6-8 seconds everything comes back to normal
The load ('w' command) goes up to 4.
I was doing totally the same with 2.4.20, with no problems at all.
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to email@example.com
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/