Adj.Prof. Andrei Gurtov
- Visiting Scholar, ICSI/UC Berkeley, 2013
- Professor, University
Wireless Communications, 2010-2012
Co-chair of IRTF research
group on HIP, 2005-2012
In ICIR/ICSI Berkeley in 2003,
- Senior Researcher, TeliaSonera, 2000-2004
- Researcher, Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, 1998-2004
- Canadian company Byres
Security releases EndBox product for SCADA
and Industrial Process Control Systems.
Powered by HIP!
- Check out how Boeing is
using HIP to assemble
- IEEE 802.15.9 Task
Group for Key Management Protocol in 802.15 is
using HIP DEX
- "Asguard's SimpleConnect product is a new implementation of the HIP VPLS
approach, and we've taken the product ease of use and scaling to the
introduces HIPSwitches and HIPSwitch Conductor with deployments in gas, oil, manufacturing and utilities industry.
Awards and Achievements
ACM Distinguished Scientist, 2015
Most read author of Aalto and most cited of HIIT on ResearchGate (June 2015)
Over 180 papers and 3500 citations on Google Scholar, h-index=24
Advised ten PhD thesis
HIP book to Best Readings in Communications and Information Systems Security, IEEE ComSoc, 2013
CELTIC Excellence Award (SILVER Star) for MEVICO project (Partner PI), 2012
Best paper award at IEEE Globecom'11 (1070 accepted papers), 2011
Senior member, IEEE, 2010; Senior Life member, ACM, 2015
Youngest member (at 28) of the Finnish Union of
University Professors, 2008
Youngest PhD (25) at Department of Computer Science,
University of Helsinki, 2004
Award from Alumni Association of
University of Helsinki jointly with Ms. Tarja Halonen
(president of Finland), 2000
Research award from Sonera Foundation, 2003
- Network security
- Industrial Internet, Cyber Physical Systems
- Resource allocation in cloud computing
- Mobile, wireless, sensor networks
- Applying Game Theory to computer networks
- Host Identity Protocol
- Future Internet architecture
- Multipath congestion control
- Peer-to-peer communication
- Opponent at doctoral defense of Seppo Heikkinen, Tampere University of Technology
- PhD Committee member of MMA Muslan, University of Cape Town
- Referee and Opponent at doctoral defence of Daniel Migault, ParisSud University
Conferences and Journals
- Editor, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
- TPC Member, IEEE Globecom'14,'15
- TPC member, IFIP NETWORKING'09,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16
- TPC member, ACM MSWiM'12,'13,'14
- TPC member, FRUCT'10,'11,'12,'13,'14,'15
- Local committee member, FRUCT'12
- TPC member for a workshop on Networking Games and Management
- Co-organizer of 2nd Mobile Linux Summit
- TPC member for IRTF Applied Networking Research Prize (ANRP)
- Publication chair, ACCESSNETS'10.
Workshop on Trust and Security in the Future
- HIP tutorial at EuroSys'09
- HIP tutorial at MobiSec'09
- Keynote speaker at
The Second AsiaFI School on Mobile and Wireless
- Workshop "Networking Games and
Management" (TPC member)
"Introduction to HIP and
its P2P applications" at P2P'08
ServiceWave'08 (TPC member)
15th International Conference on
Telecommunications (ICT'08) (TPC chair)
Dagstuhl Seminar 06441:
Naming and Addressing for Next-Generation
- Other reviewing
COST action: Algorithms, Architectures and Platforms for Enhanced Living Environments (AAPELE)
- SIGMONA. 2013-15.
- MAMMOTH. Tekes Ubicom Project. 2011-2014.
- IoT SHOK. 2012-2014.
- SEMOHealth. Academy Research Project. 2011-2013
- Secure Peer-to-Peer Services
Overlay Architecture (SPEAR),
Internet Graduate School (FIGS). (Board
- Berkeley-Finland Center on Future Internet
Architecture, 2009-2013 (team leader)
- MultiHIP. 2011
- EIFFEL Think Tank, EU
HIPv2 development grant by Google (PI)
- Security and Privacy for Mobile Users in
Decentralized Collaborative Wi-Fi Networks,
2009-2011 (project co-leader)
SHOK FI, 2009-2012 (team
- Ranking models in structured P2P networks. Internal HIIT project.
2009-2010 (project leader)
with SICS, Sweden, 2006-2010. (project leader)
2008-2010 (team leader)
- Infrastructure for
HIP II, 2006-2009 (project leader)
- Trustworthy Internet,
strategic project, 2006-2008
Experimentations in Real Converging Networks (MERCoNe),
2006-2007. Team leader.
- Location Privacy and Authentication in Massively
Distributed Systems (LPAMDS), with RWTH Aachen, 2006-2007. PI
- Infrastructure for
HIP, 2004-2006 (project manager)
prototyping for vertical handover (VHO)
Research Needs Better Models
Emulator for Analyzing Wireless Network Data Transfers
- TCP performance enhancements for wireless links
CSE-E5000 (Seminar on Software Systems, Technologies and
Tutoring, Fall 2015.
T-110.6120: Software Defined Mobile Networks, Aalto, April-May 2015
T-110.5291 Seminar on Network Security
, Fall 2013, Aalto (tutoring).
Cryptography and Network Security,
Spring 2012, University of Oulu.
- TIES410 Future Internet (guest lecturer), University of Jyvaskyla, 2012.
Seminar on Internetworking
Spring 2011, Aalto.
Cryptography and Network Security
Spring 2011, University of Oulu.
T-110.5290 Seminar on Network Security
, Fall 2010, Aalto.
Course on Securing Mobile Internet, May 2010,
University of Oulu.
T-110.5290 Seminar on Network Security
, Fall 2009.
HIP course for Cross-Border University summer
school, August 2009.
Advanced Topics in Networking, Spring 2009.
T-110.5190 Seminar on Internetworking, Spring
to HIP and its applications
T-110.5190 Seminar on Internetworking (4 cr): Spring 2007
T-110.7290 Research Seminar on Network Security: Fall 2006
T-110.7190 Research Seminar on Datacommunications Software: Fall 2005
- 582429 Laudatur Project
(4 cu): Summer 2005
T-110.557 Research seminar on telecommunications software: Fall
C-programming: Fall 2002.
to the use of computers: Spring 2000, 2001, 2002.
Networking Research Group
- Andrey Lukyanenko.
Multi-User Resource Sharing Problem for The Internet
, University of Helsinki. (Defence 17.11.2010)
- Andrey Khurri.
Evaluating IP Security on Lightweight Hardware,
HIIT/Aalto (Defence 24.1.2011)
- Miika Komu.
A Consolidated Namespace for Network Applications, Developers, Administrators and Users,
Aalto University (Defence 7.12.2012)
- Samu Varjonen.
Secure Connectivity With Persistent Identities
, UH. (Defence 14.11.2012)
- Tatiana Polishchuk,
Multipath and multicast communication in the Internet, UH. (Defence 9.11.2013)
- Boris Nechaev.
Calibration and Analysis of Enterprise and Edge Network. Aalto/HIIT. (Defence 13.12.2013)
- Dmitry Kuptsov.
Improving Dependability of Networks with Penalty and Revocation Mechanisms, Aalto/HIIT.
- Suneth Namal. Enhanced Communication
Security and Mobility
Management in Small-Cell
Networks. CWC/University of Oulu.
- Joakim Koskela.
A Secure Peer-to-Peer Application Framework,
- Esa Piri.
Improving heterogeneous wireless
networking with cross-layer
information services. VTT/University of Oulu. (Defence 27.5.2015)
- Madhusanka Liyanage. CWC/University of Oulu
- Ilya Nikolaevskiy. Aalto/HIIT
- Ekaterina Dashkova. Tampere University of Technology
- Pawani Porambage. CWC/University of Oulu
- Ijaz Ahmad. CWC/University of Oulu.
For hobbies, I like a bit of extreme flavor
- Flying: Ultra Light Aircraft (ULP) pilot. Aerobatics on Citabria, Extra 300, RF5 planes.
- Sailing: Certified Skipper motor/sailing boats up to 24 meters (own boat s/y NorthSailor, Bavaria 31 cruiser). Destinations include Maarianhamina, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg. Third place in Helsinki-Tallinn race LYS2 (Summer 2011).
- Diving: Certified PADI Master/Rescue/Deep/Night/Nitrox/DrySuit Diver (Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Croatia, Finland, Russia, USA, Mexico, Sri Lanka). E.g. "Paris" warship wreck 30 meters depth near Antalya. "Zenobia" shipwreck at 40m in Cyprus. "Kaapelihylky" wreck in Hanko, Finland from 1647.
- Mountaineering: E.g, Fuji Mountain in Japan (3850 m), Yosemite, Miyajima.
- Skydiving: Freefall from 3200 m.
- Astronomy: Member of Ursa and Arktos, Finnish Astronomical Associations.
Key holder of Tahtitorni, Artjarvi and Paavola observatories.
- Hunting: moose, ducks, hares, etc
- Certified tank driver (T-55 and BMP-1)