Petri Myllymäki obtained his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science at
University of Helsinki, where he became a
Docent in computer science in 1999. Dr. Myllymäki is one of the
co-founders and the current leader of the Complex Systems Computation (CoSCo) research group,
and he has over 20 years of experience in research in the area of
intelligent systems. His current special research interests are
focused on Bayesian and information-theoretic modeling, in particular
with Bayesian networks and other probabilistic models. He has
been an editorial board member, program chair/committee member and reviewer
for numerous international scientific journals, conferences and organizations, and he
has published over 100 scientific articles in his research area. He is a co-founder of Ekahau Inc.,
Cloud'N'Sci Inc. and BayesIT Inc., and has
also been responsible for several applied research projects
with other companies including Nokia, Elisa, M-Brain, Kesko, Kone, StoraEnso, Space
Systems Finland/European Space Agency, ABB and AlmaMedia, and the industrial
co-operation has lead to a number of fielded applications and
patents. Dr. Myllymäki is a professor at the
Department of Computer Science of University of Helsinki, the Director of the Helsinki Doctoral Programme in Computer Science,
and he is also working as a
programme director at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology (HIIT), a joint research institute of University of
Helsinki and Aalto University.
Calendar / Office hours / Tutoring
- You can send a request for a meeting through my
Doodle MeetMe page or via email (but always please check first my free slots on my public Doodle calendar page below):
- Office location: A320 (3rd floor, last office on the right in the A wing) in the Exactum building
(street address: Pietari Kalmin katu 3).
- Seminar on Intelligent Systems, Spring 2011.
- Probabilistic Models, Spring 2011.
- Project in Probabilistic Models, Spring 2011.
- Project in Probabilistic Models, Spring 2009.
- Probabilistic Models, Spring 2009.
- Tietotekniikka Nyt!, kevät 2008
- Three concepts: probability, Spring 2007.
- Three concepts: information, Fall 2006.
- Three concepts: probability, Spring 2006.
Models, Fall 2005.
- Three concepts: information, Spring 2005.
Seminar on Intelligent Information Retrieval, Fall 2004.
- Three concepts: probability, Spring 2004.
Models, Fall 2003.
Seminar on Causal Models, Spring 2003.
Seminar on Intelligent Systems, Spring 2002.
Seminar on Intelligent Systems, Spring 2001.
Co-chaired conferences and workshops
- The Fifth Workshop on Information Theoretic Methods in Science and Engineering (WITMSE'2012),
Amsterdam, The Netherlands, August 27.30, 2012.
- The Fourth Workshop on Information Theoretic Methods in Science and Engineering (WITMSE'2011),
Helsinki, Finland, August 7-10, 2011.
- The Fifth European Workshop on Probabilistic Graphical Models (PGM'2010), Helsinki, Finland, September 13-15, 2010.
- The Third Workshop on Information Theoretic Methods in Science and Engineering (WITMSE'2010), Tampere, Finland, August 16-18, 2010.
- The Second Workshop on Information Theoretic Methods in Science and Engineering (WITMSE'2009), Tampere, Finland, August 17-29, 2009.
- The First Workshop on Information Theoretic Methods in Science and Engineering (WITMSE'2008), Tampere, Finland, August 18-20, 2008.
- The 24th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI-2008), Helsinki, Finland, July 9-12, 2008.
- Workshop on Recent Breakthroughs in Minimum Description Length Learning, Helsinki, Finland, July 9, 2008.
- IIIA-2006: International Workshop on Intelligent Information Access, Helsinki, Finland, July 6-8, 2006.
Invited talks, tutorials, etc.
- Somebody Needs Your Algorithm - Cloud'N'Sci.fi.
Invited talk in the Industry Track of the ECML/PKDD'2012 conference.
Bristol, UK, 27.09.2012.
- Experiences on Innovation Trails (Kokemuksia innovaatiopoluista). Invited talk at a Brainstorming Seminar on Innovations, Paris, France, 21.-24.1.2009
- Personalized Ubiservices in Public Spaces. Invited talk at Tronshow 2009, Tokio, Japan, 11.12.2008
- Tieteellinen huippututkimus ohjelmistoalan innovaatioiden synnyttäjänä.
Kutsuesitelmä Sytyke ry:n laivaseminaaarissa "Mielikuvittele - ideoista innovaatioiksi", Helsinki/Tukholma, 10.-12.09.2008.
- Recent advances in computing the NML for discrete Bayesian networks.
Invited talk at the 2008 Workshop on Information Theoretic Methods in Science and Engineering, Tampere, Finland.
August 18-20, 2008.
- Fast computation of NML for Bayesian networks. Invited talk at the ICML/UAI/COLT workshop on Recent Breakthroughs in Minimum Description Length Learning. Helsinki, Finland, July 9, 2008.
- The Future of Search. Invited talk at the 2007 Information Days Congress and Exhibition, organized by the Society for Finnish Information Specialists, October 18, 2007, Helsinki, Finland.
- Intelligent Information Access. Invited talk at the seminar on the technologies of the future, organized by the Finnish Defence Forces on May 3, 2006.
- Bayes-verkkojen mahdollisuudet
(a tutorial on Bayesian networks, in Finnish).
to Intelligent Systems, 22.09.2003
- Introduction To Deep
- Probabilistic Modeling with Bayesian
Networks. Handout slides (17 pages, 160kB gzipped postscript file)
of my tutorial given at
- The 7th Finnish Artificial Intelligence Conference (Vaasa,
- HECSE Winter School 1997 (Helsinki, January 1997)
- CIDEC Winter School (Palmse, Estonia, March 1997)
- On Probabilistic Modeling and Bayesian
Handout slides for the invited talk given on 05.09.2002 at the BayMiner