Homepage of Veli Mäkinen
Veli Mäkinen, PhD, Professor
Room: A239b, Phone: +358 50 41 51 706, Email: First.Last(at)cs.helsinki.fi
Also affiliated with:
- Genome-Scale Algorithm Design: Biological Sequence Analysis in the Era of High-Throughput Sequencing. Cambridge University Press, 2015. (with Belazzougui, Cunial, Tomescu) [Book webpage]
- Explaining a Weighted DAG with Few Paths for Solving Genome-Guided Multi-assembly. Accepted to IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. (with Tomescu et al.)
- Gap Filling as Exact Path Length Problem. Accepted to RECOMB 2015. (with Salmela, Sahlin, Tomescu)
- Fast In-Memory XPath Search using Compressed Indexes. Software Practice and Experience, 45(3):399-434, 2015. (with Arroyuelo et al.)
- Indexing Graphs for Path Queries with Applications in Genome Research. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 11(2):375-388, 2014. (with Sirén & Välimäki)
- Versatile succinct representations of the bidirectional Burrows-Wheeler transform. In Proc. ESA 2013. (with Belazzougui, Cunial, and Kärkkäinen)
- A Novel Min-Cost Flow Method for Estimating Transcript Expression with RNA-Seq. BMC Bioinformatics, 14(Suppl 5):S15 (10 April 2013). (with Tomescu, Kuosmanen, and Rizzi)
- Efficient Path Kernels for Reaction Function Prediction. In Proc. BIOINFORMATICS 2012. (with Heinonen, Välimäki, Rousu)
- Fast Scaffolding with Small Independent Mixed Integer Programs. Bioinformatics 27(23):3259-3265, 2011 (with Salmela, Välimäki, Ylinen, Ukkonen)
- Storage and Retrieval of Highly Repetitive Sequence Collections. Journal of Computational Biology 17(3):281-308, 2010 (with Navarro, Sirén, Välimäki)
- Filtering methods for content-based retrieval on indexed symbolic music databases. Information Retrieval, 13(1):1-21, 2010. (with Lemström & Mikkilä)
- Compressed Full-Text Indexes. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 39, No. 1, Article 2, 2007. (with Navarro)
- Compressed Representations of Sequences and Full-Text Indexes. ACM Transactions on Algorithms, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Article 20, May 2007. (with Ferragina & Manzini & Navarro)
- Combinatorial Approaches for Mass Spectra Recalibration. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics,5(1):91-100, 2008. (with Böcker)
- Transposition Invariant String Matching, Journal of Algorithms, 56(2):124-153, 2005. (with Navarro & Ukkonen)
- Complete list here... and with citation information in google citations
- Co-chair of IWOCA 2016.
- Invited talk at German Conference on Bioinformatics 2015.
- Associate Editor for BMC Bioinformatics.
- Professor in charge of MBI and Algorithmic Bioinformatics subprogramme.
- PC member RECOMB-CG 2015
- PC member WABI 2015
- PC member CPM 2015.
- PC member LATA 2015.
- Guest Editor for special issue on Algorithms for Sequence Analysis and Storage.
- PC member WABI 2014.
- PC member ALSIP 2014.
- PC member RECOMB-CG 2013.
- PC member WABI 2013.
- PC member ICCABS 2013.
- Organizer for VARIATHON 2013.
- Visit to Bielefeld University, Autumn semester 2012.
- Organizer, CPM 2012
- PC member, BIOINFORMATICS 2012
- Co-organizer, The Fourth Workshop on Compression, Text, and Algorithms 2009.
- PC member, CPM 2011, CPM 2008
- PC member, SPIRE 2012, SPIRE 2010, SPIRE 2009, SPIRE 2007, SPIRE 2006, SPIRE 2005
- Organizer, ICML/UAI/COLT 2008
- Organizer, Merkkijonopäivä 2008 (national seminar on string processing)
- Program Chair, Summer School on Algorithmic Data Analysis
- Local organizer, PMSB 2006 Workshop
- Recent trends in Stringology - study group, spring 2004
- FDK Research Seminar, autumn 2003