Introduction to programming: Reading Suggestions
(Last update 25.10.2002)
The course is based on a Finnish book:
- Arto Wikla: Ohjelmoinnin perusteet Java-kielellä, OtaDATA 2001.
To help foreign students, there will be a cumulative weekly list of
pages in the book
The book can be found in the library of the department!
The contents of the book do not match exactly to the contents of
The following lists, what you should read in Lewis-Loftus
for next week's excercises:
- week 12.9: pages: 2-5, 34-36, 44-52, 54-58, 37-43
- week 19.9: 76-82 (only types int, double, boolean),
86, 89-102, 183-186, the tool for reading
- week 26.9: pages 102-106, 194-198, 134-140
- week 3.10: This week is a little problematic: We start using
in an 'old fashioned' way, which is not covered in the book! Anyhow
a 'near match' is 134-140.
We also started with classes and objects, pages 121-124, 131-149,
- week 10.10: (again 121-124, 131-149), 152-155, a little
about char and String 77-78, 125-128, ...
- week 17.10: 77-78 (char), 125-128 (String), 208-232, 464-470,
- week 24.10: more about those pages above;
- week 30.10:
A tool for reading input can be found in page