Autumn School on Computational Creativity
Autumn School on Computational Creativity (2011)
November 7-11, 2011, Porvoo, Finland
The University of Helsinki (together with Hecse and HIIT) will organize an international autumn school on computational creativity. We cordially invite PhD and MSc students and researchers who are interested in being introduced to various aspects of computational creativity by experts in the field. Previous experience of the field is not needed. We primarily target audience that has background in computing, but we also welcome participants from other related disciplines.
The goal of computational creativity is to model, simulate or enhance creativity using computers. Different subfields of computational creativity include linguistic, musical and visual creativity, producing creative artifacts such as jokes, paintings, or musical pieces.
The autumn school covers computational creativity from different angles, first providing a general introduction and then focusing on more specific topics, some of them are listed below:
- Introduction to Computational Creativity
- Formal Definition of Creativity
- Computational Modeling of Music Cognition
- Musical Creativity
- Automated Discovery and Mathematics
- Automated Painting
- Artistic Use of Swarm Computing
- Computational Humor
- Creative Information Retrieval
- Computational Treatment of Affective and Persuasive Language
We are proud to announce that leading researchers in the field will lecture in the autumn school:
- Simon Colton, Imperial College, UK
- Graeme Ritchie, University of Aberdeen, UK
- Carlo Strapparava, Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Italy
- Paulo Urbano, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Tony Veale, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Geraint A. Wiggins, Goldsmiths' College, University of London, UK
The autumn school is funded by Hecse, a Finnish doctoral programme in computer science. Since Hecse will cover the costs of the autumn school programme and organization, registration to the school is free of charge. Participants only pay for their accommodation and meals (and possibly for social programme). (For members of Hecse, all expenses will be covered by Hecse.)
The autumn school will take place on 7-11 November in Porvoo, Finland, 50 km east of Helsinki.
- Registration deadline: 26 Oct 2011
- Registration deadline for Hecse members: 5 Oct 2011
- Hotel reservations: a block of rooms guaranteed in Hotel Sparre for reservations made by 7 Oct 2011 (mention "University of Helsinki" when booking)
The University of Helsinki will give 3 ECTS credits to its students for participation in the full autumn school programme. Students of other institutes will be given a letter as a proof of their participation in the school.
Registration page: https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/29404/lomake.html
Photo: (c) Porvoon kaupunki