Network of Finnish Doctoral Programmes in Information
The Network of
Finnish Doctoral Programmes in Information Technology (Figsit)
joins local Finnish doctoral programmes in computer science and information technology
into a collaborative network of about 750 PhD students and their supervisors
(with 115 funded PhD student positions in 2010).
The objective of the network is to increase the quality and quantity of training and
supervision of PhD students in computer science and information technology,
with minimal additional costs and overhead. The network provides high quality joint events,
quality control and improvement, and
peer support for both students and supervisors. The participating doctoral programmes form this
network as independent units.
The Figsit network functions in the following ways:
- Courses are open to all PhD students of the network. Information about courses
and other open events is systematically collected and disseminated to the students.
- A joint summer (or winter) school with a high quality international program is
organized annually. The program typically consists of short courses or tutorials by foreign
experts, as well as social events to promote networking.
- For quality control and improvement, the network is used for benchmarking researcher
training on the national level, to exchange ideas and to discuss and disseminate best
practices between the participating doctoral programmes. These discussions and
workshops between professors are organized regularly in conjunction with the summer
- The network provides a forum for both students and professors to meet and discuss
with their peers outside their own doctoral programmes.
The network started its operations in 2007. The participating doctoral programmes
- Comas - Jyväskylä Doctoral Programme in Computing and Mathematical
Sciences, offered by the University of Jyväskylä,
- ECSE - East Finland Graduate
School in Computer Science and Engineering, jointly offered by the
University of Eastern Finland and Lappeenranta
University of Technology,
- Hecse - Helsinki Doctoral Programme in Computer Science - Advanced Computing and Intelligent Systems, jointly offered by the
University of Helsinki and Aalto University,
Oulu Doctoral Programme, offered by the University of Oulu,
- TISE - Tampere Doctoral Programme
in Information Science and Engineering, offered by Tampere University
of Technology (TUT) and University of Tampere, and
- TuCS Graduate Programme
- Turku Centre for Computer Science , jointly offered by Åbo Akademi
University, the University of Turku and Turku School of Economics.
This file was last modified on 20 Aug 2008.