University of Helsinki Computer Science sister network
Sister network purpose
- The numbers of females with careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) are low in most countries. This is the case also with us: less than 20 % of our students and staff members are female.
- We, like many other departments of computer science internationally (example), believe that a sister network gives support in education and career building. This support is easily omitted from minority groups.
We want our sister network to work in two ways, by providing
- peer support by students or staff members in similar positions, and
- big sister support by students or staff members that have gained a more senior position already.
- This sister network has been founded in April 2015 and therefore is still recruiting big sisters from the staff. As a next step, we will gather all new female students of autumn 2015 to joint events and organise a big sister contact for all of them.
- The purpose of the sister meetings and 1-to-1 sister relationships is to encourage discussion, for exampe, on the expectations of the academic life, hinders in it, and ways to overcome problems created by being in the minority group. Each event and each relationship is different, as the needs of our mentees differ.
- Gathering big sisters from staff April- : Joining as a new member and volunteering as a sister. We are also looking for female MSc students in their pro gradu thesis phase to act as big sisters for Finnish newcomers.
- Suomenkielinen tapahtuma pikkusiskoille maanantaina 28.9 at 14-16 salissa C222; erityisesti kohdennettu ensimmäisen vuoden naisopiskelijoille, järjestävänä osapuolena isosiskojen verkosto. Isosiskoiksi mielivät ovat tervetulleita mukaan!
- Avaussanat ja isosiskojen esittely
- Vapaa keskustelu ja verkostoituminen
- English speaking meeting for big sisters and to-be little sisters Monday 5.10 at 14-16 in C222; little sisters are mostly international MSc students. If you would like to become a big sister, please join us in the event or by registering beforehand through the form on these pages.
- Opening words and introduction of the big sisters
- Free networking and discussion
- Summarizing new activity plans
- Joint Finnish/English informal discussion meeting for all female computer scientists of the department on Thursday 29.10. 2015 at 14-16 in C222. Coffee and biscuits.
- Next event: as a pre-Christmas party we join the Opening of Christmas Street event that is open for all students and staff. It takes place at the 2nd floor hallway on 3.12 at 2pm. Do join in to mingle with the rest of the department folk, disregard of your academic age
Current sister volunteers
See: members list