Patrik Floréen, PhD
- Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki
- Mailing address: P. O. Box 68, FI-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
- Street address: Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2B, 00560 Helsinki
- Office: Exactum A316
- Phone: +358 40 570 0444
- Email: Patrik.Floreen(at)helsinki.fi
- Department of Computer Science, Aalto University
- Mailing address: P. O. Box 15400, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
- Street address: Konemiehentie 2, 02150 Espoo
- Office: T-building A209
- Phone: +358 40 570 0444
- Email: Patrik.Floreen(at)hiit.fi
- Supervisor of MSc and BSc theses.
- Introduction to Computer Science, Autumn term of 2016.
- Seminar: Pioneers in Computer Science, Spring term of 2016.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Autumn term of 2015.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring term of 2015.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring term of 2014.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Responsible and partly teaching, Autumn term of 2013.
- Study Circle on Natural Language Processing, Autumn 2013.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring term of 2013.
- Data Structures, Spring term of 2012.
- Seminar: Recommender Systems, autumn 2011.
- Networks, Crowds and Markets, spring 2011.
- Johdatus tietojenkäsittelytieteeseen, autumn 2010
- Laskennan mallit, autumn 2010 (while Prof. Kivinen was out of office in November)
- HOPS tutoring, foreign MSc students starting 2010.
- Data Structures, spring 2009. Home page in Finnish is here.
- Adaptive Computing Research Seminar, 6.9.2006-3.5.2007, Every other Wed 14-16, C220 (autumn 2006), B119 (spring 2007).
- HOPS tutoring, group starting 2006.
- Context-aware computing, 6.9.-9.12.2005; see course page.
For contacting me, please use email.
Short CV: Patrik Floréen obtained his PhD in Computer Science from University of Helsinki in 1992. His research interests are in intelligent information retrieval and context-aware computing. He has authored more than 80 publications, with more than 1000 citations. His h-index is 20. Dr. Floréen has been the scientist in charge for several research projects funded by the Academy of Finland, Tekes, industry and the EU. He has a permanent position as University Lecturer in Computer Science at University of Helsinki since 2003 and is Docent at the same department since 1995. He is member of the Steering Group of the Bachelor Programme in Computer Science at University of Helsinki, 2016-2020. He is appointed Vice-Director of HIIT, a joint research institute of Aalto University and University of Helsinki, for 1.1.2018-31.7.2020. In this position, he is member of the Steering Group of HIIT and secretary of the Board of HIIT. He has been setting up the Helsinki Centre for Data Science (HiData, 2017-) and the Finnish Center for Artificial Intelligence (FCAI, 2017-), currently serving as Vice-Director for the FCAI Company Membership Programme and member of the Executive Committee of FCAI. Previously, Floréen was Director of HIIT in 2009-10 and Interim Helsinki Node Director for EIT ICT Labs in 2010 and Vice-Director of HIIT 2010-2015. In addition to working at University of Helsinki and Helsinki University of Technology since 1986, he has been postdoctoral researcher at Utrecht University 1993-94, Secretary General for the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering at the Academy of Finland 1995–97 and Scientific Officer at the European Commission in Brussels 1997-2001. Floréen is Board member of Svenska Tekniska Vetenskapsakademien i Finland.
Teaching Autumn Term 2017
Past Teaching since 2005