Patrik Floréen, PhD
- Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki
- Mailing address: P. O. Box 68, FI-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
- Street address: Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2B, 00560 Helsinki
- Office: A316
- Phone: +358 40 570 0444
- Email: Patrik.Floreen(at)helsinki.fi
- Seminar: Information systems at knowledge work: from today into tomorrow's world, 26.11.2014.
- Workshop on Pervasive Technologies in Retail Environments at Ubicomp 2013, 8.9.2013.
- 8th International Conference on Pervasive Computing (Pervasive), 17-20.5.2010.
- 2nd IMUx workshop at Pervasive 2008 in Sydney, 19.5.2008.
- IMUx workshop at Pervasive 2007 in Toronto, 13.5.2007.
- Workshop on Context Awareness for Proactive Systems (CAPS 2005), 16-17.6.2005.
- Supervisor of MSc and BSc theses.
- Seminar: Pioneers in Computer Science, Spring term of 2016.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Autumn term of 2015.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring term of 2015.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring term of 2014.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Responsible and partly teaching, Autumn term of 2013.
- Study Circle on Natural Language Processing, Autumn 2013.
- Data Structures and Algorithms, Spring term of 2013.
- Data Structures, Spring term of 2012.
- Seminar: Recommender Systems, autumn 2011.
- Networks, Crowds and Markets, spring 2011.
- Johdatus tietojenkäsittelytieteeseen, autumn 2010
- Laskennan mallit, autumn 2010 (while Prof. Kivinen was out of office in November)
- HOPS tutoring, foreign MSc students starting 2010.
- Data Structures, spring 2009. Home page in Finnish is here.
- Adaptive Computing Research Seminar, 6.9.2006-3.5.2007, Every other Wed 14-16, C220 (autumn 2006), B119 (spring 2007).
- HOPS tutoring, group starting 2006.
- Context-aware computing, 6.9.-9.12.2005; see course page.
For contacting me, please use email.
Short CV: Patrik Floréen obtained his PhD in Computer Science from University of Helsinki in 1992. His research interest is in context-aware computing. He has authored more than 60 scientific publications. He leads the Tekes large strategic initiative Revolution of Knowledge Work. Dr. Floréen has been the scientist in charge for several research projects funded by the Academy of Finland, Tekes, industry and the EU. He has a permanent position as University Lecturer in Computer Science at University of Helsinki since 2003 and is Docent at the same department since 1995. He currently leads the Intelligent Interactive Information Access research group and before that he led an earlier research group Adaptive Computing. He is member of the Joint Pervasive-UbiComp Steering Committee, the deciding body for the Pervasive and Ubicomp conferences, the premier conferences in the area of ubiquitous computing. Floréen was Director of Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT in 2009-10 and Interim Helsinki Node Director for EIT ICT Labs in 2010 and Vice-Director of HIIT 2010-2015. In addition to working at University of Helsinki and Helsinki University of Technology since 1986, he has been postdoctoral researcher at Utrecht University 1993-94, Secretary General for the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering at the Academy of Finland 1995–97 and Scientific Officer at the European Commission in Brussels 1997-2001. Floréen is deputy Board member of Svenska Tekniska Vetenskapsakademien i Finland.
Teaching Autumn Term 2016
- Introduction to Computer Science, Autumn term of 2016.
Past Teaching since 2005