|Prof. Aaron Ding
Associate Professor, University of Helsinki
Associate Professor (Tenured), TU Delft
Staff Member of NODES Group & HIIT
Editor of CS department International Blog
Chair of CS department Well-Being Group
- Tenured Associate Professor at TU Delft - EU Engineering #1
- Appointed Associate Professor (Dosentti) in Computer Science at University of Helsinki
- Moved to Germany to take 5-year appointment at TU Munich - EU Computer Science #1
- Life at TU Munich
Successfully defended my PhD with Grade 5/5, opponent Prof. Steve Uhlig (SIGCOMM '15 Chair, Uni. London, UK).
» public defense photo @ main building of University of Helsinki
- Columbia Visiting Scholar @ IRT Lab, Columbia University, Ivy League, New York, USA, 2014 ~ 2015.
» guided by Prof. Henning Schulzrinne: ACM & IEEE Fellow, CTO of Federal Communications Commission (FCC),
Internet Hall of Fame with 89 Internet standard RFCs, and Chair of Columbia CS Department 2004-2009
- Cambridge Visiting Scholar @ Computer Lab, University of Cambridge, UK, 2013 ~ 2014.
» advised by Prof. Jon Crowcroft: ACM & IEEE Fellow, FRS, ACM SIGCOMM Award and IEEE Internet Award
- Visiting Researcher @ Deutsche Telekom Labs, Berlin, Germany, 2012.
- Co-Chairing ACM MobiSys '14 PhD Workshop @ Bretton Woods, USA, sponsored by Microsoft, Google and Brocade.
» workshop committee and MobiSys photos
ACM SIGCOMM "Best
of CCR" Award with Prof. Jon Crowcroft @ SIGCOMM '14, Chicago USA, 2014.
» present on SIGCOMM stage @ Chicago Palmer House Hilton, with get-together photo
- Awarded Nokia Foundation Scholarships, 2-time consecutive recipient in 2012 and 2013.
- Awarded "Staff Member of the Year" by the Computer Science Department, University of Helsinki, 2013.
- Served on IEEE Finland Executive Committee for 2 years, 01.2014 ~ 12.2015.
- Serving on IETF Global Design Team, 2013 ~ Present.
- Served on IETF NomCom Committee, 2012 ~ 2013.
- Research visit and invited talk at University of Padova, 2008.
» founded in 1222 where Galileo chaired the mathematics department.
- Internship offer: Economic Commission for Europe, United Nations, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
"The Principle of
Science" -- Richard Feynman Research Interests
"The Principle of Science" -- Richard Feynman
- SIGCOMM (Special Interest Group on Data Communication)
- SIGMOBILE (Special Interest Group on Mobility of Systems, Users, Data, and Computing)
- ComSoc (Communications Society)
- IEEE Finland (IEEE Region 8)
I have been employed to work on a series of international R&D
projects for 12+ years. New projects at TU Delft
I have been employed to work on a series of international R&D projects for 12+ years.
New projects at TU Delft
Linux at CS Department
one of our most "visible" graduates: Dr. Linus Torvalds, who graduated from our NODES group
- Linus Torvalds' graduate thesis @ NODES - page 82
- recent event at CS department, some fun stories, and one special photo of Aaron and Linus
concerning sport, I am a Point Guard (PG) since age 10, representing high school and faculty of science at college. After moving to Helsinki, I've also played with many Finnish and European players. My PG role model is John Stockton.
a quote from my coach about PG, "reading a game well is really hard, but extremely fun, especially for those who understand the beauty of teamwork and the opportunity behind every move."
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research." -- Albert Einstein
"Too often we underestimate the power of a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."