Contact informationBuilding on campus: Exactum
Room: C229 (2nd floor)
Office hours: by appointment
Phone: +358 2941 51318
Mobile: +358 50 483 7678
Fax: +358 2941 51120
Postal address: P.O. Box 68, FI-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Visiting address: Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b, 00560, Helsinki
University Lecturer (Yliopistonlehtori), Ph.D.
See my personnel page for a list of my current and past teaching.
I am part of the Empirical Software Engineering group. I am working currently on software architecture topics.
InterestsMy main interests are in the area of Software Architecture (architecture and design, programming languages) and Software Engineering (quality, testing, performance engineering). My deepest speciality is in the area of programming languages and language processors. I am also interested in computer games and simulation. As a hobby, I spend time with flying and driving simulators. I also like reading and spending time outdoors, in the nature.
- 2009 - 2012: Principal Architect at Nokia and Accenture Services. I worked mainly on Symbian System Architecture Blueprints and the related Architecture Intent with the special responsibility on user data and content management architecture and its evolution for Symbian smartphones.
- 2006 - 2009: Technology Manager at Nokia. I worked on configurability and variability of the software assets for Symbian-based smartphones and developed related tools and processes.
- 1999 - 2006: Senior Research Engineer at Nokia. I worked as a project manager and researcher in projects on software architecture process, modeling, analysis, and documentation.
- 2012 - University Lecturer at University of Helskinki
- 2002 - 2004: Professor and Lecturer (part-time) at University of Helsinki. I taught the `Software Architectures' course and supervised master’s thesis.
- 1992 - 1999: Researcher and teacher at University of Helsinki. Various research, teaching, and development tasks in the areas of programming languages, visual programming, compilers, data base application re-engineering, and software engineering.
Selected publications in refereed journals or in conference proceedings, ordered by topic:
- S.-P. Lahtinen, E. Sutinen, J. Tarhio, A.-P. Tuovinen: Learning and Problem Solving Assisted with Animated Objects (abstract). In: Abstracts of the European Conference on Educational Research ECER'95, Bath, England, September 14-17, 1995. University of Bath, 1995, 153-153.
- S.-P. Lahtinen, E. Sutinen, J. Tarhio, A.-P. Tuovinen: Object-Oriented Visualization of Program Logic. In: Proc. TOOLS-USA'97, 1997.
- Antti-Pekka Tuovinen: Using Compiler Techniques to Convert an SQL Application for a New DBMS. In: Proc. of the Fourth Symposium on Programming Languages and Software Tools (Laszlo Varga, ed.), Visegrad, Hungary, June 8-14, 1995. Eötvös Lorand University of Budapest, Dept. of General Computer Science, June 1995, 349-359.
- Antti-Pekka Tuovinen, Jukka Paakki: Translating SQL for Database Reengineering. ACM SIGPLAN Notices 31, 2, February 1996, 21-26
- Antti-Pekka Tuovinen: Error Recovery in Parsing Relational Languages. In: Proceedings of 1998 IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages, September 1--4, 1998, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1998, 6-13.
- Antti-Pekka Tuovinen: Practical Error Handling in Parsing Visual Languages. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing 11, 2000, 508-528.
- Jukka Paakki, Antti-Pekka Tuovinen: Source-to-Source Translation of Visual Languages. Nordic Journal of Computing 5, 3, 1998, 235-264.
- Louise Lorentsen, Antti-Pekka Tuovinen, Jianli Xu: Modelling of Features and Feature Interactions in Nokia Mobile Phones Using Coloured Petri Nets. Proc. 23rd International Conference of Application and Theory of Petri Nets ICATPN 2002 (J. Esparza, C. Lakos, eds.), June 2002, Adelaide, Australia. Springer, LNCS 2360, 294-313.
- Claudio Riva, Petri Selonen, Tarja Systä, Antti-Pekka Tuovinen, Jianli Xu, Yaojin Yang: Establishing a Software Architecting Environment. Proc. Fourth IEEE/IFIP Working Conference on Software Architecture WICSA 2004 (J. Magee, C. Szyperski, J. Bosch eds.), June 12-15, Oslo, Norway. IEEE Computer Society, 2004, p. 188-197.
- Jens Bæk Jørgensen, Søren Christensen, Antti-Pekka Tuovinen, Jianli Xu: Tool Support for Estimating the Memory Usage of Mobile Phone Software. Software tools for Technology Transfer (STTT) special section on ISOLA 2004. Software Tools for Tehcnology Transfer vol. 8 (6), 2006, p. 531—545.
- Gerard Bosch Creus, Antti-Pekka Tuovinen: Feature Interaction Control on Smartphones. Proc. SIES'2007 - IEEE Second International Symposium on Industrial Embedded Systems, Hotel Costa da Caparica, Lisbon, Portugal - July 4, 2007. IEEE, 2007, p. 302—309.
- Leppanen, M., Makinen, S., Lahtinen, S., Sievi-Korte, O., Tuovinen, A-P. & Mannisto, T.: Refactoring-a Shot in the Dark? IEEE Software, 32, 6, 2015, p. 62-70.