582606 Introduction to bioinformatics (4 cr, Autumn 2009)
This course gives an introduction to the central topics in bioinformatics, and gives a foundation for further courses in the Master's Degree Programme in Bioinformatics (MBI). You do not need to be in MBI, however, to take the course! The course was previously given in Autumn 2008.
FeedbackPlease give anonymous feedback on the course. Same form in Finnish can be found here.
Time and place
- Lectures: Tuesday & Thursday 14-16 Exactum D122 (not Tue & Fri as previously mentioned)
Enrolling for the coursePlease use the registration system of the Department of Computer Science to enroll for the course.
- University Lecturer Sirkka-Liisa Varvio, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Helsinki
- Dipl.-Bioinf. (MSc) Laura Langohr (exercises), Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki
- Lecture 1, Tuesday 8.9
- Lecture 2, Thursday 10.9
- Lecture 3, Tuesday 15.9 and Lecture 4, Thursday 17.9.
- Lecture 5, Tuesday 22.9 and Lecture 6, Thursday 24.9.
- Lecture 7, Tuesday 29.9 and Lecture 8, Thursday 01.10. NOTE, this is a corrected version
- Lecture 9, Tuesday 6.10
- Lecture 10, Thursday 8.10, Lecture 11, Tuesday 13.10, Lecture 12, Thursday 15.10
- Exercise 1, Thursday 17.9.
- Exercise 2, Thursday 24.9.
- Exercise 3, Thursday 1.10.
- Exercise 4, Thursday 8.10.
- Exercise 5, Thursday 15.10.
Example solutions to some exercises can be found here.
- Course exam: Wed 21 October 16.00-19.00 Exactum A111. Note: exam starts 16.00, not 15 past like lectures!
The course exams of a previous course are available here:
Questions of two past separate exams: [exam 1] [exam 2]
Note that the course contents have changed a bit since the course was previously held.
Lectures will be based on
- Richard C. Deonier, Simon Tavaré and Michael S. Waterman: Computational Genome Analysis: An Introduction, Springer, 2005.
Previous update: 15.10.2009 19:30