582636 Probabilistic Models (4 cr) / Todennäköisyysmallit (4 op), Spring 2010N.B. Lectures in English this year!
19.01.-25.02.: Tue, Thu 16-18 in B222
Exercises: Fri 15-17 in B222, starting 29.01
Course instructor: Dr. Huizhen
Office hour: Mon 13-14 or by appointment
For students in the old Intelligent Systems specialisation area: this course replaces, together with the project work 582637 Project in Probabilistic Models (2 cr), the course Three Concepts: Probability (6 cr).
In the next period there will be a separate project work course 582637 Project in Probabilistic Models/Todennäköisyysmallien harjoitustyö (2 cr) with more involved hands-on empirical work on the subject.
- Exercise 1 with solutions (due on Jan 29)
- Exercise 2 with solutions (due on Feb 5)
- Exercise 3 with solutions (due on Feb 12)
- Exercise 4 with solutions (due on Feb 19)
- Exercise 5 with solutions (due on Feb 26)
Please write me if you would like to have your exercises back before the exam to help preparing for it.
The primary material will be lecture slides and chapters from certain books. Lecture slides in pdf are given below, with the 4-slides-per-page versions for printing given inside the parentheses. (You may also check out the materials of the previous Three concepts: probability course in 2009, 2008 and 2007)
- Lecture 1. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 2. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 3. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 4. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 5. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 6. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 7. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 8. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 9. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 10. (4-on-1 version)
- Lecture 11. (4-on-1 version) (updated on Feb 25)
- Lecture 12. (4-on-1 version)
Additional recommended reading materials (for subjects discussed in the classes or to be discussed soon; more will be added):
- Alan Hàjek. Interpretations of Probability, from Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Frank P. Ramsey. Truth and Probability, 1926.
- Judea Pearl. Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems, Morgan Kaufmann, 1988. Chap. 1; Chap. 4, 5.
- Robert G. Cowell, A. Philip Dawid, Steffen L. Lauritzen, and David J. Spiegelhalter. Probabilistic Networks and Expert Systems: Exact Computational Methods for Bayesian Networks, Springer, 2007. Chap. 2; Chap. 5.1, 5.2, 5.3; Chap. 6.
- A. C. Davison. Statistical Models, Cambridge Univ. Press, 2003. Chap. 6.1, 6.2; Chap. 4.1, 4.7.
- Finn V. Jensen. An Introduction to Bayesian Networks. UCL Press, 1996. Chap. 3.; Chap. 4.
- A. Philip Dawid. Conditional Independence, in Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences, pp. 146-55, Wiley-Interscience, 1998.
Course exam05.03, Fri 9-12 in Exactum Auditorium A111.
Huizhen Janey Yu